[Tfug] compiling issues with JTR

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 16 11:30:15 MST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:07:48AM -0700, aj hine wrote:
>Trying to compile John the Ripper from source in etch. Getting all
>sorts of C based complaints about string.h stdio.h
>and stdlib.h. Apt-get says libc6 is the latest. Wrong gcc version?
>noob mistake of some sort? dumas question but am
>I _supposed_ to be in root?  As far as I can tell it doesn't like my C
>libraries. I have not compiled on this machine
>before and don't know if this is a general failure or specific to this issue
>
>Thnx  - andy (the one _not_ in Illinois)

>memory.h:13:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
>memory.h:14:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
>In file included from common.h:14,
>                 from DES_fmt.c:10:
>memory.h:46: error: expected ')' before 'size'
>memory.h:64: error: expected ')' before 'size'
>memory.h:69: error: expected ')' before 'size'

Andy,

These are the key lines.  Your libc6 is not the wrong version, rather you are
missing some needed pieces.  For most Linux distributions, the libfoo packages
contain only the libraries and the libfoo-dev packages contain the header
files you will need if you want to compile programs using those libraries.

In the case of Debian, you want the libc6-dev package for these particular
headers.

I am a little surprised, though, as I was under the impression that in Debian
the gcc package had a dependency on libc6-dev.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.