[Tfug] Stuph Avaylible Four Sail

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 12:27:16 MST 2008

Hi, Matt.

--- Matt Jacob <matt.jacob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Don,
>
> Do you think this box would make a decent web
> server? Say I'm running a
> couple low- to medium-traffic sites with either
> Postgres or MySQL
> running on the same box, and maybe a mail server.
> I'm just not familiar
> with how SPARC CPU speeds correlate to x86 speeds.

You'd be comparing apples to aardvarks.  :<
It's not just the clock speed that sets machines
apart but, also, other hardware issues (cache size,
bus latency, etc.) and, more importantly, the
software running on top of that hardware.
(e.g., C++ applications tend, IMHO, to run *slower*
than functionally equivalent C applications.)
And, the disk (et al.) subsystem can play a big
role (as will memory, etc.)

A possible win with a multiprocessor system (and
an OS that can safely exploit it) is that you can
run truly parallel tasks.

If the box isn't sold, I am toying with the idea
of using it to serve up a set of new applications
I am building for WC instead of a considerably
faster machine trying to do it all on a single
processor.

<shrug> For $30 I figure it's cheaper than buying
a (disposable) MP3 player... :>

(note that I run a U60 at home with *two* 450MHz
CPUs and SLOWaris and it works great for a personal
system)

> And I know you said it has Debian 3.1 on there, but
> do you think it could handle 4.0?

Sorry, I can't help you there.  I just read the
note that was taped to the machine  :>  Maybe
Dennis can chime in?

--don