[Tfug] lirc and irda?

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 9 21:59:46 MST 2008

I have used lirc to send commands to my thinkpad. It was a long time ago, so
I don't remember the order of flaming hoops I jumped through to get it
working, but I can tell you it is possible. I vaguely remember that the IR
can sometimes be set up as a network device for transferring data and when
it is configured as such, lirc won't work. So you may have to unload
irda/network drivers and load the lirc modules to get things working.

My only real help is to say that it can be done, you are not wasting your
time. Well, at least in the sense you meant. :-)

JDR

On 1/9/08, James Hood <ebenblues at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Is it possible to use lirc over an irda device in a laptop?
>
> lirc comes with a menu driven setup utility called setup.sh that lets you
> select which driver you want lirc to compile for your system. "IrDA
> hardware" is one of the options under the "Driver configuration" menu (in
> the latest cvs snapshot). I haven't tried out this particular driver, but it
> seems like a good starting point:
>
> http://www.lirc.org/cvs.html
>
> James

> "The humble learn the fastest because they don't waste time on defending a
> false image."

Jeremy D. Rogers, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
Biomedical Engineering