[Tfug] Virtual Keyboard

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 11:45:37 MST 2008

Hi, Joe,

--- jblais <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com> wrote:

> that
> also
> >
> > In pharmaceutical manufacturing, you can't allow
> the
> > materials used in the manufacture of one product
> > "carry-over" into the manufacture of *another*
> > product.
>
> I think our machines are more for research.  Small

Ah, OK.  Though at *some* point they must have to
clean them (or, perhaps just the "reaction chamber"
where the reagents are?)

> scale stuff. I know we
> aren't required do do the software tracking like the
> "real world" requires.
> I guess each lab will have it's own procedures.  We
> do make our machines so
> stuff doesn't "get out" easily, but they're not
> "sealed".
>
> > In practice, many "widget" implementations don't
> > react to *touches* (key DOWN events) but, rather,
> > actuate on *releases* (key UP events).  And,
> further,
> > they tend to ignore the key UP event if it wasn't
> > immediately preceded by a key DOWN event OF THE
> SAME
> > "key"!  So, user can wipe screen as long as he
> lifts
> > the towel off someplace *other* than where he
> > initially touched the screen...
>
> Yes, if you touch our screen, and you meant not to,
> you stay in contact and
> slide your finger sideways until it's off the
> "button".

<grin> Amazing how folks learn to exploit "holes"
in an implementation!  :>  E.g., there is a "bug"
in Joust whereby you can fly *through* solid rock
*if* you happen to line up your lance just
perfectly...

> > > Yes, they create/edit/delete programs, then they
> can
> > > pick them for various cycles of a synthesis.
> >
> > But there are *some* provisions for creating those
> > "programs" on the instrument (instead of doing it
> > all off-line...?  Something like a "watch me"
> > mode?
>
> Actually, most of the machines have programming ONLY
> on the instrument. It's

Ah, OK.

> just our new ones that have the ability to design at
> your desk (
> "designer" ), then give a USB stick to a "runner"
> who runs the synthesis at the machine.

Makes sense.  Have you considered putting a NIC
in the design and letting folks pull the "recipes"
off a server?  And, likewise, *push* their changes
back onto the server?  This has the advantage of
letting folks share Rx's as well as providing some
implicit tracking of changes, etc.

Or, do most sites just have a *single* machine?
(though there could still be some value to having
that storage facility, etc.)

--don

--don