[Tfug] system libraries and packages

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Feb 22 18:43:37 MST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 06:22:27AM -0700, Terence Rudkin wrote:
>The first question is: Is the NSSW  built static or dynamic?
>second is how exotic is the NSSW?  Meaning does it only use
>standard features malloc, fopen ...
>
>So to first , if built static the NSSW should  continue to work a long time.
>As to the second if the NSSW uses only standard feature if the libs. then
>this too should not impact the NSSW.

For some emperical data, the oldest Linux software I have are some ported
games produced by the ex-company Loki.  Their ages range from about 8-10 years
old.

Though I haven't tried them all recently, several of them still work just
fine.  In particular, the Linux port of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri works great
on my system.  The original system requirements are, if I recall, kernel
2.2.x, libc 5.x, and X 3.9x something.  And I'm running it on a 64bit system
with kernel 2.6.x, libc6, and X 4.3 under normal 32bit library emulation.

Of course, as Terrence mentioned, it depends a lot on what the program uses.
This particular program is statically compiled and has only 2D sprites to draw
(plus some small movies).

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.