[Tfug] Li-on battery

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:23:54 MST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Jeremy D Rogers <
jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu> wrote:

> [snip]
> >
> > But the estimated remaining available time didn't seem to accurately
> > reflect what I estimated to be the remaining time, so I decided to
> > deep-cycle it once to see if it would correct the problem, after doing
> > some searching around the 'net, and reading some forums.  I ran the
> > machine until it died, doing memtest86.  Since then, about 3 days ago,
> > it won't charge - the charge light always blinks amber - so that's
> > likely the 1st and last time I'll ever deliberately deep-cycle a Lion
> > battery.  (How I loath Li-on batteries!  How I wish I could choose a
> > NiMH battery - they just seem to be a lot more forgiving, and not to
> > age a lot more gracefully!)
>
> [snip]
>
> In my experience, deep cycle = badness. I'm no expert, but I think a lot
> of the deep-cycle advice out there is carry over from other chemistries like
> NiMH that

hmmmm.... I think that was Ni-Cad not NiMH ( unless your trying to start
some more carry over, in which case never mind. )

LeadAcid != Ni-Cad != NiMH != Li-ion != <next>

With what said Ni-Cad and NiMH can both be fully discharged without killing
them if you do that to your car battery its trash. Over charging NiMH will
drive off the H and reduce its capacity, while not using the full range of a
Ni-Cad will build layers of contamination (memory) that limit its capacity.
Li-ion is not a bad battery, but it has its own rules...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery