[Tfug] External enclosure for a 3.5" drive

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 10:49:16 MST 2008

Hi, Steven,

--- Steven Bowers <steveb7 at simplybits.net> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend an enclosure for a 3.5" drive?
> I have an old 80GB drive that I want to use to
> shuttle data between systems. Requirements
> are that it can accept a 3.5" PATA drive; have USB
> (and possible 1394) connector(s) and is usable
> between PC/MAC/Linux/BSD systems.

You'll want to add "USB *2*" to that list, no doubt :>

Given any thought to NAS instead?

I'll see if there are any in Joe's room (usually,
they get tossed) and put one aside for you if I
find any.  Usually they are external CD-ROMs but
I assume the controller is rather generic and
will accept a regular disk in lieu of the CD
(I've not tried it, though).

Annoying thing with almost all of these is they
require an external power supply (I have a small
external SCSI enclosure that I use for similar
purposes because it has the power supply built

--don