[Tfug] Repartition Drive with Linux to add Winders

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Mon Feb 18 16:00:33 MST 2008

Joe,

I formatted several hundred disks with Windows and it won't recognize any partitions that aren't windows in my experience.  I use gparted and wipe everything that is non-windows.  I don't like the manufacturer utilities because they always seem to add their own crap to the mix.

As a plus, I was given a hard drive formatted at 8GB in windows.  When I went through it with gparted, it was a 80GB.  Nice bonus.  Gives Debian a lot of room to play in.

Earl
"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler
"I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code" Unknown Linux Geek

-- "jblais" <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com> wrote:
> Earl
>

> >> Easiest way is to start over with a blank hard drive and install
> >> winders first, then install Linux.  It's less frustrating.
>
> >Yes, this is what we do normally - It's just.... so we had to
> figure out how
> >to get a "blank drive"
>
> Gparted removes all of the partitions nicely, Windows, Linux, BSD, Sun.
>
> Earl

You realize, I'll never remember all this past Friday afternoon!
Tuesday afternoon, will be pushing it, considering this is a Monday!

We did get it going with Win2k, but not with WinXP.  This is after we got
the utilities.  We didn't try Win2k until after we cleaned the disk with the
utility, so I really don't know if we even needed the utility, or if our
first attempts would have been OK with Win2k.

I hate computers! And I cuss out every OS I'm working in, saying the other
OS has better features.  -- The grass is always greener on the othee side of
the hill....

Thank you for your help!

Joe

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org