[Tfug] Repartition Drive with Linux to add Winders

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Mon Feb 18 10:40:32 MST 2008

Easiest way is to start over with a blank hard drive and install winders first, then install Linux.  It's less frustrating.

Next choice and one I've used a few times is to install windows on a separate drive without the linux drive installed.  Then reinstall the linux drive as the first drive and switch the windows to the second drive.  Then re run grub and it will locate winders.

Earl
"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler
"I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code" Unknown Linux Geek

-- "jblais" <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com> wrote:
Hello -

I had a need to run Winders on a machine we had previously set up for Linux.
The machine has these A/D cards and stuff.  Anyway, the drive was initially
set up for Fedora 5, with a grub loader.  The fedora install, made 2
partitions, a small boot partition, and then the rest of the drive for the
LVM (something like that).  So being as simple minded as I am, I found
fdisk, deleted the large LVM partition, and then made a new smaller LVM.  I
then hoped that winders could find the rest of the space and Linux find it's
space with a re-install.

Well - dead machine.  It just comes up with a  'grub>' prompt, which I can
probably deal with if I try to reinstall Linux.  But when I boot to a
Winders XP CD, hoping that it will find a place on the drive, all that I get
is a message about winders testing for devices, and then the screen goes
blank, and stays there.

DOS can't repartition it.  I think we tried nuking all the partitions.

We're getting some low level reset stuff from Western Digital, hoping that
will help.

Anybody got any suggestions for the 'next' time I doo something like this ?

Joe

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: