[Tfug] Repartition Drive with Linux to add Winders

jblais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Mon Feb 18 09:55:20 MST 2008

Hello -

I had a need to run Winders on a machine we had previously set up for Linux.
The machine has these A/D cards and stuff.  Anyway, the drive was initially
set up for Fedora 5, with a grub loader.  The fedora install, made 2
partitions, a small boot partition, and then the rest of the drive for the
LVM (something like that).  So being as simple minded as I am, I found
fdisk, deleted the large LVM partition, and then made a new smaller LVM.  I
then hoped that winders could find the rest of the space and Linux find it's
space with a re-install.

Well - dead machine.  It just comes up with a  'grub>' prompt, which I can
probably deal with if I try to reinstall Linux.  But when I boot to a
Winders XP CD, hoping that it will find a place on the drive, all that I get
is a message about winders testing for devices, and then the screen goes
blank, and stays there.

DOS can't repartition it.  I think we tried nuking all the partitions.

We're getting some low level reset stuff from Western Digital, hoping that
will help.

Anybody got any suggestions for the 'next' time I doo something like this ?

Joe