[Tfug] Virtual Keyboard

jblais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Mon Feb 18 09:11:42 MST 2008

Don -

> > Our latest machine has a touchscreen (Fedora 5),
>
> That makes sense.  Kiosk style (I should show
> you what I'm doing for WC).  Do you have "issues"

Yes, I'm always looking to see other ideas and "things"

> with cross-contamination?  I.e., making sure that
> you can "wipe clean" the display (which is also the
> "keyboard") at the end of a run to prevent carryover
> to the *next* run?

? I'm not sure what you mean.  We have tested the touch-screen with various
organic solvents used in the synthesis, as well a trifluroacetic acid (nasty
stuff).  The user should propbably turn off the instrument to physically
wipe it.  I never thought of a wipeable screen -- no buttons, just a time to
ignore the mouse presses. ?

> > and the user does everything through there.
> > I fixed up an alphanumeric and a numeric keypad
> > for touch use.
>
> Out of curiosity, telephone layout or calculator?

calculator

> > Basically, our instrument users need to pick from
> > options, and type in some words for naming things
> > they want to save.  The rest is control buttons,
> > text displays, some graphics (unless I can avoid
> > it).
>
> Presumably, the "names" they assigned are presented
> in the future to let them re-call that Rx?

Yes, they create/edit/delete programs, then they can pick them for various
cycles of a synthesis.

> > parameters.  The user then goes to the Run screen,
> > and hits go.
>
> Could the "recipe creation" task be off-loaded
> (e.g., to a PC/workstation)?  I.e., just turn
> the instrument into something that *runs* Rx's
> instead of *creating* them?

Yes, I did the development in wxWidgets on Linux, then used most of the
files with very little change, to make a Winders app, where the user can go
through the exact same screens to create a job.  Then I allow them to save
jobs on the PC and copy them to the machine using USB sticks.  There's also
reporting and some enhanced features on the PC side, so I don't have to deal
with printers and stuff on the Linux side.

Joe