[Tfug] Software packages for new web server

Matt Jacob matt.jacob at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 23:09:58 MST 2008

Jeffry Johnston wrote:
> Just curious.. why two SQL's?

I prefer Postgres, but some apps and other sites I'll be hosting require
MySQL support.

> On my box, I put together some cron jobs to automatically apt-get
> update and install security updates.  I also have outgoing e-mail
> only, can't remember the name of the program right now... configured
> it to use G-mail SMTP.

I use ssmtp at home to hand off outgoing messages to Cox's servers. Is
that what you're thinking of? If so, it's great at what it does, but I
also need to be able to accept incoming messages on this new box, hence
Postfix.

> Don't forget a UPS..

Don't worry, that's already taken care of at the datacenter (along with
RAID and other redundancies). I went with a Slicehost VPS
<http://www.slicehost.com> rather than a full box because, frankly, it's
more than enough power for what I do while still giving me full control.
For $20/mo., I get 256 MB of RAM, 10 GB of HD, and 100 GB of bandwidth,
and this thing is screaming fast. I mean, it's fast.

I'm thinking about working on my dual-Xeon beast in the future and
hosting it in our datacenter at work, but the VPS seems to be doing the
trick for now.

Matt