[Tfug] Software packages for new web server

Matt Jacob matt.jacob at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 20:21:59 MST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'll be getting my own web server soon, and this will be the first time
I've administered a publicly-accessible box on my own. (What I do at
work only half counts, because we already have procedures and standards
in place to keep me from having to make too many decisions on my own.)
I've got a general idea of the software packages I want to install, but
I'd also like some insight from you guys (obviously, or else I wouldn't
be posting this message).

The box is basically going to host a couple of my own sites and a few
sites for friends, organizations, etc. (I'm planning on using scponly to
give them jailed SSH/SCP access to their web directories). There's also
going to be some mail serving, but it'll be restricted to just a few
actual accounts and a bunch of forwarders.

With that in mind, here's what I'm thinking of:

Debian Etch
Apache
MySQL
PostgreSQL
PHP/Python/Perl, etc.
Postfix
Dovecot
vsftpd
scponly

Have I forgotten anything? Is there a better choice I should be using
instead of what's listed above?

Thanks!

Matt