[Tfug] RDBMS reprise

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Tue Feb 5 18:00:22 MST 2008

Hi,

I once tried the "PDA" thing (as something other than a toy).  It was
an Oregon Scientific, I think I got it off E-bay for around $15.  My
criteria were that it had to be small enough to fit in my pocket, be
able to interface with the computer, and not require charging.  This
device fit the bill.. it is the size of a credit card (thicker of
course), had a little serial cable (at the time I was running Windows,
so Linux compatibility wasn't an issue), and used lithium batteries.
Okay, sounds great!   So the first problem is that there was no
graffiti, so it takes forever to input anything.  Second problem, it
wasn't very accurate... even tho I pressed a letter, it wouldn't
always register.  Third problem, it took forever to input stuff (oh
wait, I mentioned that already!).  Eventually from being in my pocket
the device started losing the ability to use certain cells and turn
on/off.

Now, for something that seems to work for me: my calculator watch.  It
instantly labels me as a nerd, I'm sure.. but that's a minor point.
The one I have is an older model Casio Data Bank (I guess they've
regressed, because this thing is thin compared to the huge hunks of
plastic they try to sell these days).  Battery life is measured in
years.  I can input phone numbers and names, and alarm reminders.. but
not addresses.  So, I'm getting someone's phone number?  I can type it
in quickly, using the buttons (physical interface).  Then, I can go
back and enter their name afterwards, when I get off the phone or
whatever.  So while it's slow overall, I can quickly enter the part
that matters most.  It doesn't have a computer interface.  Back when
this thing was designed in the 80's, that wasn't even a thought for
people.. so I understand, although it sure would be nice.

My conclusion is that my next "real" PDA needs physical BUTTONS.  No
graffiti, no lame touch screen.  Heck the screen doesn't even matter
much.  And the watch form factor is a must.  I don't feel like I'm
carrying it and it doesn't get mashed in my pocket.

So, a question.  Has anyone here used those laser projected keyboards?
 How are they?  That might solve the keyboard problem if they work
really well. And just looking at this watch I think it could fit a
mini-mini-plug (you know those tiny headphone plugs that are smaller
than the normal ones?)  So there is I/O.  The problem is the battery.
I HATE charging stuff.  Drives me crazy.  If the laser burns too much
juice, that's a problem.  But, the watch itself it shouldn't be a
battery hog.. just lower the clock rate until it's good.  (To get an
idea of size, this watch is about 1/4" inch thick for the top, and
1/8" thick where the keypad is)

Can it be done?

Jeff