[Tfug] PDA non-usage

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 13:57:33 MST 2008

Hi, Jude,

--- Jude Nelson <judecn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't use my PDA for PIM stuff--a pad of paper is
> by far the best way to record that (or writing it
> on your hand).

How do you keep track of all of your relatives
addresses, phone numbers, birthdays, anniversaries,
names of their children, etc.?

Likewise, how do you do this for business contacts?
How do you track when you last called someone (for
business or pleasure) and the subject of your
conversation?

How do you remember how to get to someone's house
(or business)?  How do you recall which airlines
service a particular place *well*?  Or, other
tidbits that can make or break a trip (e.g., I
have learned that layovers at Sky Harbor *must*
be 60 minutes if you have to change terminals!  :<)

How do you keep track of which pizzeria's have the
best pies?

I guess it depends on just how big your knowledge
base is -- as you get older, things like this tend
to multiply... yet, the time between "refreshes"
increases (since you have more items to refresh,
you don't call *everyone* in your address book
*every* month!  :< )

> Instead, I use my
> PDA like it's a pocket-sized UMPC--for web surfing
> and e-mail checking
> and on-the-fly coding and mindless entertainment and
> occasionally
> ssh-ing into one of the University's servers.  But
> then again, my
> Zaurus C1000 isn't exactly one's idea of a PDA
> either :)

I wouldn't consider a handheld for computer-related
things -- except as a novelty.  It's just too damn
small for my level of comfort.  I'll sometimes outline
an algorithm while walking around the neighborhood,
but that's not even pseudo code -- it's just too
hard to write while walking (keeping the screen
at a convenient focal length, etc.).

And, 97.38402% of the population aren't interested
in writing code, surfing the web, or checking email
with such a device -- they already have a phone
that does that *if* they want.  But, they *all*
need to remember phone numbers, grocery lists,
anniversaries, addresses, appointments, etc.  Yet,
so few folks rely on technology for these things!

:-/

--don