[Tfug] PDA non-usage

David Cowell davidwcowell at cox.net
Sat Feb 2 14:36:25 MST 2008

The biggest obstacle to PDA usage is that we already easily accomplish
most of the tasks that we would like to move to a PDA.

For example, if someone gives you their telephone number, you jot it on
a piece of paper... if you're me, you don't put a name on it, either. So
why on earth would you fiddle around pulling a PDA out and
eentsy-weentsy typing everything in (including a name), for something
you may never need again? Five seconds versus 20-30 seconds.

On top of this, remember that if you have a duplicate system of
information storage and retrieval you will have a harder time retrieving
any one bit of information if that information is filed in randomly
between systems. (Say somewhere between 1.4 and 2.0 times the searching
time of the more efficient system: "Let's see... did I have my PDA with
me at that moment?")

Efficiency would require abandoning one method or the other. Otherwise,
reduced efficiency will result, at least in the short run.

So guess which method most of us abandon? The one that requires
additional effort at the present moment.

The way I see it, the only people who would change to a PDA are either
highly motivated to do so (I know but one person who has done so, and he
is a self-made multi-millionaire) or are so young that the change in
procedure would cause minimal relearning.

This, incidentally, is why "old fogies" find it hard to adapt to new
technologies. They have become so adept at the older way that the loss
of time in learning the new way of doing something that they already do
quite acceptably (at least by their own standards) is something they
view as wasted time. (Most of us are not terribly interested in future
savings of time. Additionally, the older we get, the more times we have
gotten huckstered by promises of time savings that just didn't pan out.)

So, I guess you could say that you're an old fogey. :) Like most of us.