[Tfug] Neewbe

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:54:36 MST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 12:19 PM, David <daviiid at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>  Hey Guys,
>  I need an input from someone conserning a lap top and a wireless  card
> using UBUNTU. I have  an HP
>  pavilion zv5000 and a BELKIN wireless G (802.11g) card that works fine with
> WINDOWS. Also what do I do for a dial up modem
>  in the desk top.?? I tried a US ROBOTICS external and it worked maybe 3 out
> of 5 times. Ilike the system if only I
>  knew a bit more about it.
>  Danid Jennings

OK.  First thing you do, you go into the Windows "Device Manager"
which is under "Control Panel", "System" icon, "Hardware" tab.

In the device manager bring up details related to your video card and WiFi card.

For our purposes, the term "Belkin" doesn't mean anything.  The
question is, which chipset is it using?  Intel?  Atheros?  Broadcom?
Raelink?  You *should* be able to find that out in the Device Manager.
 Same for video: Intel, ATI and NVidia are the most common but there's
others like the Chrome series.

Next trick: google the name of your laptop (zv5000 should do) and the
terms "Ubuntu" and maybe add "gutsy" for recent info, see what other
people's experiences are.  I'll do that myself later, gotta run for
now.

(That doesn't mean I'm saying necessarily "go with Ubuntu" although
it's a decent choice.  It has the biggest user base and you're more
likely to get info that way versus searching "Linux".)

Jim