[Tfug] Wireless

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 10:33:42 MST 2008

Hi,

I'm having some "issues" with my wireless
connection   :<

At times, performance seems "adequate";
at others, it's like a cable is unplugged!
(figuratively)

I see lots of signal in each case.  But,
notice a helluvalot of "packets received
with errors" -- in both cases (though, no
doubt, more when my throughput drops to
practically zero!)

After head-scratching for a while ("good
signal yet sh*tty throughput?"), I *think*
what's happening is I must be getting
some sort of interference?

I.e., I am sure signal strength is *literally*
that -- the magnitude of the signal at some
early IF stage in the receiver.  It has
nothing to do with the *content* of that
signal.

OTOH, if there is something interfering with
the signal, the signal will still be strong,
but "corrupted" (?)

I think these operate on the 2.4GHz band.
I note that *my* microwave oven is not on.
Nor do I have a cordless phone operating,
etc.

I don't see any *other* "networks available"
(i.e., neighbors) though they might not be
broadcasting their SSID's.

Any other suggestions as to the possible
source of the interference?  Or, clarification
if this really *is* an interference symptom?
I.e., foolish to put a better antenna on the
machine since signal strength does not appear
to be a problem (?)

Card in question is Orinoco Gold a/b/g and
I am running in g mode.

Thx,
--don