[Tfug] UPS sizing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 10:16:59 MST 2008

Hi,

When I lived in the midwest, power outages were a
frequent occurrence (e.g., sometimes twice a month).
As such, I relied on a *big* UPS (3.5KVA with just
about an hour uptime at full load) since it would
allow me to keep working *through* the outage.

That monster (it was almost the size of a washing
machine) is no longer with me (it would have cost
an arm and a leg to ship it!) -- and I probably have
no place to *keep* it (since the garage would beat
the hell out of it in the summer).

Since power outages here seem to be relatively
infrequent (I think less than one a year in my
neighborhood), it seems silly to invest the $$$ and
space in a similar beast.

Rather, it seems like I'm better served by a small
UPS at each machine that is just big enough to
provide an orderly shutdown (saving work in progress)
in the event of a power outage (and, to tide me over
in those occasional dropouts).

Does this seem in line with what others have done?

Nappy Yew Hear!
--don