[Tfug] In need of hard drive info)

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Sun Dec 28 16:08:21 MST 2008

Well, here is a quick stab at a dedicated box, for maximum storage,
cheapest price.

~9TB usable, with RAID6 and a hot spare.  Uses 9 1.5TB hard disk drives,
6 off the onboard SATA, 1 off the onboard PATA (with adapter), 3 off a
PCI-e card (two SATA, one with a PATA adapter).

Tom Rini wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 01:31:15PM -0700, Harry McGregor wrote:
>
>> Are you looking at a SAN (block level) or NAS (File level) network storage?
>>
>> Linux has a reasonable iSCSI stack (open-iscsi.org) that could provide
>> you with block level storage, though unless you have a really solid lan,
>> I would not recommend it.
>>
>> Otherwise, I would look at NAS storage with Samba as your back end.
>>

> Whatever is best for a home setup for backup / rare usage (Parallels
> machines I infrequently need) for 2 OS X boxes and 1 Linux box.  Cheap
> is good too (ie stick it in my desktop if there's enough airflow).

Samba is probably your best bet for that, have not checked if time
machine works well over it yet or not.

You could probably do iSCSI with time machine though :)

QTY   Link
1       http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147112
9       http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148337
1       http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817995001