[Tfug] Well it's back to Ubuntu...

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Dec 24 01:00:54 MST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:28:30PM -0700, Brian Vogel wrote:
>   Just simply saying the apt-get works fantastically without the ncurses
>   aptitude front end.  As it has been stated aptitude cannot do
>   everything so why not just use apt-get.

Well, let's be fair here... that's a little like saying Firefox can't do
everything so we're better off telnetting to port 80 and conversing with the
server ourselves.

If all I need to do is install some random package, then yes, apt-get is
usually the best choice.  But apt-get's ability to browse through the volumes
of available packages is limited to say the least.  While you *can* get all
the same information, you can generally do so much more quickly and
efficiently via aptitude.

Also, until very recently, aptitude was (to the best of my knowledge) the only
apt tool which provided auto-dependency tracking so when you removed a
package, any of its dependencies which were no longer used elsewhere would be
marked for removal.  That was the feature that sold me originally.  Of course,
this feature has now migrated over into apt proper, I believe.  That's a
better place for it since now all frontends, apt-get included, can take
advantage of it.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org