[Tfug] Smoke detectors for the deaf > Developing apps for the Linux desktop.

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 05:36:15 MST 2008

Hmmmmm.....

http://theappleblog.com/2008/12/03/november-operating-system-share-numbers-should-microsoft-be-scared/

Like I said a few weeks ago...maybe it's time we start paying less
attention to Linux, and more attention to Darwin/x86. We'll get more
done, quicker, by putting pressure on Apple to open OS X up to non-Apple
hardware than it would be to continue doing what we're doing
collectively farting around with desktop Linux.

It should be pretty obvious by now that Linux on the desktop is dead.
It's had 10+ years now to take root, grow, stabilize, and be truly
competitive...and it simply hasn't.  Even worse, the whopping 0.83% of
Linux's "world domination" marketshare is fragmented among more than one
desktop. No mainstream software developer in their right mind is going
to line up manpower and capital to develop for a target audience that
small, and even worse, that target audience is generally adverse to
spending money on software. You'd be better off getting out of the
software business and starting a company that makes smoke detectors for
the deaf at that point. 0.8% of the public > 0.8% of the public that use
a desktop computer regularly.

It just seems like it would be easier to pressure Apple into conforming
to what the public wants, via Darwin/x86, than it would be to continue
trying to crowbar Linux into something acceptable to the mainstream. I
mean, think about it... If the number of Hackintosh installs out there
dwarfed the number of "legit" OS X installs, any move Apple would make
would first need to appease the masses, else be considered
broken...legal or not. If people are using a free kernel on commodity
hardware, but *buying* OS X, Apple's bottom line would still increase.
How is this a bad thing for anyone?

Cheers,
Bowie
CEO, Hellen Keller Pyrotronics, Inc.