[Tfug] FS: Linksys WRT54G with the excellent v.2 chipset -alreadyflashed with DD-WRT full edition

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Tue Aug 19 22:39:16 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich" <r-lists@>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 7:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] FS: Linksys WRT54G with the excellent
v.2 chipset -alreadyflashed with DD-WRT full edition

>> factory firmware?<<
>>
>> Because factory firmware can't do anybody more advanced.
>
> I think what John's asking is, if this router was intended
> for some
> guy, but the advanced firmware is too complex, why not
> just install
> the old firmware, sell it to him, and be done with it?

Yeah, that was my point.

V2.0 units like Jim's are excellent for dd-wrt use, but is
it like they are rare or something? They appear to be in the
class of V2.0 through V4.0 WRT54G's and WRT54GL's.
Currently, I'm using a WRT54GL with dd-wrt that was found in
the trash.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28all_the_rest_that_is_not_re-engineered_til_today.29
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2734nx

> And I think the answer is "because that would be
> sacrilege -- this is
> a neat box that someone might have a use for *with* the
> replacement
> firmware".

Sacrilege is a little dramatic, but whatever...

If you missed out on the WRT54G V2.0 offered,  go buy a
WRT54GL.

BTW, would WDS work for someone looking to do client mode?