[Tfug] LCD monitor failures

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 20:08:47 MST 2008

Hi,

I've got a bunch of LCD panels (monitors) to test.
for WorldCare.

>From time to time, I notice "dark areas" in the
display.  Not "black", just "reduced brightness".

I belive these are areas where the glass has been
deformed (due to mishandling by user).  Can anyone
confirm this?

If so, are there any remedies for the problem?

Currently, monitors that otherwise work but exhibit
these "gray spots" are set aside for in-house use
(e.g., to replace CRT's used at the various test
stations).  This, at least, gives them a reprieve
from the recycling bin.

In some cases, I steal parts from these units to
repair other units that don't have this problem
(but may, for example, have a bad inverter, etc.)

Since I personally don't use an LCD monitor (I dislike
the quality of their video), do these sorts of problems
come up *normally* in their use?  Or, is it just an
issue of "mishandling" (i.e., should I instruct the
folks who handle these to be more aware of the forces
they put on the display surface -- I've finally managed
to get them to stop *taping* notes onto the glass!)?

Thanks!
--don