[Tfug] Opine: Bricks, warts or...?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 13:45:52 MST 2008

--- On Fri, 8/8/08, Tim Ottinger <tottinge at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Not sure what you mean by "solid state" :>  Are the effects
> > processed *digitally* or just "with op amps"?
> >
> > In the former case, that would probably explain the special
> > power supply -- also probably a much higher "load" than one
> > of your other "dedicated pedals".
>
> Effects are either analog circuits or digital circuits,
> and the analog sound better though they are less fun
> to design, I'm told.  They are more transparent than
> converting to/from digital.

In theory, assuming the sampling rate is high enough (and you
don't run out of headroom), a "digital" effect should be
indistinguishable from an "analog" one.  Of course, as a
consumer, there is no way to be sure that the design really
has been faithful to all of this  :-/

> Delay is almost always sampled and digitally produced.

Yes.  Though you can purchase "analog" delay lines.
But, it's silly since you can do the same digitally
for far less effort (and, add effects -- echo, etc. -- at
the same time).