[Tfug] OT: Stargazers of Tucson.

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Sat Aug 9 09:28:51 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim March" <1.jim.march>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2008 12:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] OT: Stargazers of Tucson.

> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Vincent Prime
> <nohbudy> wrote:
>> Hey,
>> Where would be a good place to see the sky, with minimal
>> dirt roads?
>> I'm thinking redrock, but they have pretty bad dust
>> problems. Any
>> favorites around here? I know a few of you have to be
>> interested in
>> the stars.
>> Going to go see the Meteor shower.
>> http://www.sacbee.com/197/story/1138754.html
>
> sudo apt-get install stellarium

Stellarium. Good tip. Thanks.

I don't know about Red Rock. Penile County screwed it up by
authorizing a fuel wasting, sprawl community of crackerbox
homes there, IMO. Also, there are lights west of the I10
exit that are in the directon of the road to Sasco.

If you go there and it doesn't work out, you might go NW
across I10 find a road called Park Link Drive. It will take
you NE. It is miles and miles of dirt road, but my goal
would be to get to AZ79 that goes between Oracle Junction
and Florence. You might even go there first.

I have traveled AZ79 late at night and it is really dark,
moon permitting. There a few public roads that you might
pull off the main road to park along. Also there are places
on 79 to pull off and park with a picnic bench or two, if
you don't mind about the occasional car driving by.

While traveling that road, there have been bonuses of
seasonal critter sightings. One day, it was snakes crossing
the road. Other sightings include millipedes, tarantulas and
coyotes.

Depending on your faith in humanity, you might consider the
relative safety of being in the middle of nowhere at 03:00.
YMMV