[Tfug] Opine: Bricks, warts or...?

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Fri Aug 8 07:40:17 MST 2008

On Aug 8, 2008, at 12:34 am, Bexley Hall wrote:

>> Great stuff, though they tend to be solid state, and that means
>> less tone than a bunch of analog pedals.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "solid state"  :>  Are the effects
> processed *digitally* or just "with op amps"?

I smell terminology abuse. My interpretation:

  - For "solid state" read "digital".
  - For "analog" read "solid state".

In musician's circles there's a bunch of hoodoo about how digital is
better and/or worse than solid state is better and/or worse than
valve/toob/choob. Tube-based stuff is expensive, because it's old
technology, and doesn't do as much. But it has a *lovely* glow. BOSS
pedals tend to be poorly shielded, but you're somehow a "wizard" if
you have twenty-three of the buggers on the floor in front of you.
That is, until you accidentally stomp on the dodgy patch lead and the
entire signal chain is broken, and you spend 30 minutes of your 45
minute set trying to figure out is it the Octaver, or the DD2?

Also, cloth-wrapped cords are better than plastic, because it gives a
better tone. Tone wasn't available for comment.

R.