[Tfug] Help needed with wireless connection HELP!!!!

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Thu Aug 7 15:59:55 MST 2008

paulv22 at cox.net wrote:
> Linksys Wireless-G 2.4Ghz
>
> Only my laptop

In that case, I'd definitely go with WPA2-PSK/AES. Grab a 63-character
alphanumeric key from here:

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

And put that into the router and into your laptop. Additionally, you may
also want to allow only your laptop's MAC address, but MAC spoofing is
so easy---and WPA2 so strong---that it's mostly a waste of time. I don't
do it at home, but I guess there *is* something to be said for taking
advantage of additional layers of security whenever possible, and I'm
definitely the paranoid type. :-)

Oh, and don't forget to change your SSID to something other than
"linksys". It's not so much for security but just to make it easier to
distinguish from your neighbors' routers so that you don't accidentally
connect to theirs by mistake. Again, grabbing the SSID from an airborne
packet is like shooting fish in a barrel. Changing the SSID and blocking
MAC addresses for "security" is security theater at best and easily
hackable at worst.

Hope that helps. When in doubt, read the manual, but I know Linksys's
documentation kind of sucks sometimes.

Matt