[Tfug] Passwords in Plain-text? Shell scripts and CIFS

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:48:57 MST 2008

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some guidance here...The subject
sounds like a painfully stupid idea, but I don't have any ideas...

I'm writing a logout script that uses rsync to sync a folder on a Windows
share.  Thing is, I need to have the user's credentials to log into the
Windows
server.  Is there a better way to secure the username/password combo than
just
a plain-text file in /etc?  Is there a wiser way to keep these passwords
secure?

Any ideas/pointers would be appreciated...I've been racking my brain on this
one
the past few days...

TIA

    - Chris