[Tfug] Opine: Bricks, warts or...?

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 19:31:12 MST 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I.e., the 1/4" phone plug that you connect your guitar to
> the rest of the audio processing chain is a "de facto"
> standard -- but these other things haven't matured to that
> point yet?

Well, not the multi-effect ones.  Pretty much all the dedicated ones have.

> Is there evera *reason* why a different power plug is used?
> (e.g., to support *3* conductors -- two voltages -- instead
> of 2?)

I know that there are some pedals that take higher voltage, and that they're
advertised as giving more "headroom".   Multieffects have no real standard,
and I suppose they build them as they please for *some* reason other than
aesthetics. ;-)

Re: Multieffects

> So, the "features" that it afforded weren't that
> "special" to justify supporting this oddball...?

They quit making the power supplies for them.  When they're not really
common, they must charge more for them, and they're rare enough that they
don't get devoted shelf space.   I don't think that's easy to justify. I
suppose they felt it was necessary, but I lost a $$$ unit (leaving me with
no other effects at all) when some conductors went bad in a little brick.
Now I have more units, and more expense, and less convenience, but I know I
can get a power supply when I need it or a pile of 9v batteries. ;-)

BTW: you're right about mA -- 200 or 300 is about it.  Most of the pedals
don't even specify.