[Tfug] Opine: Bricks, warts or...?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 09:11:11 MST 2008

--- On Tue, 8/5/08, Timothy Ottinger <tottinge at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have effects pedals for my guitars, and just ordered a
> OneSpot adapter kit  from VisualSound.   It takes up only one spot
> on the power tree (one of those "sideways warts") and
> daisy-chains 8 standard 9v power plugs.

(reading ahead), so, the type of gear you use "on stage" tends (?)
to all be powered from a 9V supply (perhaps as an alternative to
9v "transistor" batteries)?  I assume the "plugs" are the "barrel"
type connector (like an inside out "phone" plug, of sorts?).  And,
all the same inner+outer diameter (i.e. interchangeable)?

Is there a trade association "standard" that promotes this?
Do you ever/often encounter devices that *don't* fit this standard?
I'll guess each load ('effects pedal") is rather small -- maybe
200mA at 9V -- and just does some signal processing in the output
from the guitar's pickup coils?  (or, do they fit into the signal
loop further downstream)

Wouldn't it be prudent for your *amp* manufacturer to have put
connections for 8 9V outputs *on* the amp itself?  Or, is that
located too far away to be practical?  (seems like it would
almost be *free* to provide that feature)

> I also own a "wall wart remover" which is
> essentially a short extension cord with an ungrounded end.

Not sure what you mean by ungrounded?  I.e., two conductors
on one end and three on the other?  What is the advantage of that?

>  Taking less space is a big deal when you're working from a
> strip or an extension cord on some stage or platform somewhere.

<grin>  It's my contention that taking less space is a big
deal regardless of where you are!  E.g., few homes ever have more
than a duplex receptacle in any particular J-box.  And, Code
only requires those every ~12 feet (discounting the kitchen).
So, with lots of low voltage devices in use, its easy to see
how you can fill up several duplex receptacles without trying!

Outlet strips are frowned upon -- despite the fact that
we all use them!  But most of them suffer from being too
compact -- just enough room for a standard *plug* and not
wall warts.

> I also bought a power squid last year because it also takes
> only one outlet, and provides about eight outputs.  I think this
> matters  As a consumer, I want all my devices to take only one plug
> space.  A wart is too big.

Exactly.

> If they can't be made "sideways" so you can line them up,
> I would rather see a brick.  If I can't have that, then
> a squid or multiplug dealio is fine.

For your effeects pedals, I suspect the manufacturer could
provide a built-in power supply in about the same space as
a 9V battery.  But, I would also suspect that this would
*not* be preferable in that environment (??).  I.e., you
would want to be able to use a 9V battery (I assume that
*is* an option for these devices) *or* the 9V 8 load gizmo
and NOT have 8 AC power cords running around on the floor
(safety hazard).

> It does matter to me. But I'm weird.

I suspect it matters to a lot of people!  That's why there
is a market for octopi, etc.