[Tfug] Opine: Bricks, warts or...?

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Tue Aug 5 03:52:12 MST 2008

I'm going to hate myself for extending another ill-defined no answer
good enough Bexley thread but...

Quoting Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com>:
> The problem with USB is you can't *rely* on having that
> available.  I.e., you, as the designer of a product that
> will plug into a USB hub, take a risk when you assume the
> user will have a hub that can "spare" that much current for you.
Snip...
> Also, both of these (USB & PoE) assume you are talking about
> "computer related devices".  Do I have to buy a special
> cradle to charge my cell phone from my ethernet jack?

No you don't have to buy a special cradle to charge your cell phone from
USB.  That is, I don't.  My Motorola phone charger has a small wall wart
on one side and a USB mini plug on the other.  If I'm at home or
traveling, I have the AC charger.  If I'm at the office or a friend's
house and need a boost, I just hook up via USB for a charge.  It's the
best of both worlds...people not around computers can use the supplied
AC adapter and people who spend a lot of time around computers can
mooch from the USB port if they prefer.

Here are adapter pics:
http://www.cellphoneaccents.com/manufacturer-motorola-phone-accessory-rizr-z3-chargers.html

As far as your other comment about needing a cord to power up, don't be
dense.  Of course you'll need a cord of some sort.

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.