[Tfug] Opine: Bricks, warts or...?

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Sun Aug 3 11:20:27 MST 2008

Harry McGregor wrote:

> I love PoE phones, network cameras, wireless APs, etc.
>
> If we can just encourage developers to use the standards (I have seen
> way too many passive non 802.3af PoE devices, that I would love to use
> if they were true PoE), we will be set.

That's the primary reason I bought the Panasonic web cams I use, POE was
the deciding factor.  Also my home AP is an eBay Cisco Aeronet that uses
POE.

Having worked in the telecom industry for too many years, I am appalled
when I see an office set up with phones powered by wal-warts plugged
into a regular outlet.  I worked in health care for many years and we
were required to provide 99.99% uptime on the voice side.  You can't do
that with Voip phones unless you use POE and have the source plugged
into a UPS that is possibly backed by a generator.

If we ever get enough students for the Voip class at Pima, this very
topic (network reliability and power) may take up one class session. ;-)

George Cohn