[Tfug] scp transfers stalling

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Aug 1 17:02:19 MST 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 01:30:10PM -0700, Brian Murphy wrote:
>Check the NIC duplex. (ethtool eth0)  This often happens when the switch
>is hard set for full duplex and the NIC auto-negotiates at half.
>
>Brian

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked and ethtool says that eth0 is running at
full-duplex.

A bit more about the network which may, perhaps, be relevant:

The three machines on the LAN connect to a GigE switch and are all running at
GigE speeds (or as close as commodity PC hardware can get).  That switch is
then plugged into the new WRT54GL router which is 100 MBit.  And the router's
cable then runs off to the cable closet someplace to a 100 MBit jack.

I believe the switch is behaving properly because there is plenty of
inter-machine traffic (lots of NFS) and there haven't been any problems with
it.

It's possible there is some problem with the gigE switch -> Linksys router
connection, but this stalling problem appeared suddenly on the old router and
persists even with the new router.  It does not seem to occur between machines
on the LAN, though because of NFS we tend to do very little scp copies between
them.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.