[Tfug] Firefox and TIFFs

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 16:59:52 MST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:

>  On Apr 20, 2008, at 10:32 pm, erich wrote:
>
>  > One reason is it's inefficiency. It takes many more Kbytes to
>  > display something in a *.tiff than in, for example, a *.jpg.
>  >          I  require  that my students send me homwork scans in
>  > *.jpg format.
>  > Every once in a while, one iof them trips up, and sends a *tiff. A
>  > single page homework scan in *.tiff can be over 10Mbytes.
>
>  TIFF is just a container type, exactly like JFIF. It can be JPEG
>  compressed, lossless compressed, or raw; conversely, JFIF can be
>  lossless; it doesn't *have* to contain a JPEG image.
>
>  Characterising TIFF as being the embodiment of inefficiency is just
>  plain wrong. (Or did you mean "its"?)

A bit off-topic, but on many occasions, I've experienced difficulties
displaying TIFF images.  I rarely choose that format to save images
when I have a choice and can avoid it.  It just seems like there are
lot of variations in the implementation of the format.  In contrast,
the only snag I've had in trying to view jpeg images was several years
ago when I encountered some images that had been created in Photoshop.
 Adobe had used the old MS trick of EEE (embrace /extend) and made the
images unreadable by any of the graphics viewing apps I had on hand,
and I didn't have a personal copy of PS.

--
John