[Tfug] Hardy Heron problems

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 17:49:16 MST 2008

So far I've found one cure for the lockups on my machine: load the -rt
"realtime" kernel set from the standard Hardy Ubuntu repos.  This is a
newbie-friendly solution but hasn't cured everybody's problems (which says
we've maybe got multiple bugs here...).

See my post detailing exactly what to grab in Synaptic or whatever here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/204996

In Ubuntu's defense, the "early in each version cycle are crap" comment
hasn't always held.  Dapper and Feisty were both absolute sweethearts from
the get-go.  In Feisty's case I ran it as a late Alpha starting about two
months pre-launch and NEVER saw a stability issue right through to Gutsy.  I
wasn't alone.  Gutsy was fine for me from launch day forward, although it
had some early beta teething issues.

Edgy however was a mess at least as wild as "Hardy" is now.  But they did
get it stabilized :).  It was Edgy that caused me to try several other
distros and in general found the grass not to be greener.  I eventually
loaded Edgy again late in it's cycle, found it rock-solid, then jumped to
Feisty late-alpha.

Jim