[Tfug] ubuntu

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu sitkaa at email.arizona.edu
Thu Apr 24 10:19:35 MST 2008

I truly don't mean to insult linux. I am actually quite impressed with it. If
you think about, here is an assortment of programs which has developed over
time that has gotten to the point of pretty good usability. But I won't post
again. I am tired of being told I am insulting you are your industry.

Some other uses of computers which have not yet reached their full potential:

1. sensing devices - sensing different spectrum of the EM field
2. new forms of communication - perhaps tactily or thru biofeedback
3. translation devices - not just spoken languages
4. GIS services - everything can be mapped
5. learning devices - extending 'how to' guides
6. travel devices - papers please
7. currency devices - trade, accounting, and asset management on the fly7
8. and who knows what else

Some of these uses are already developed, others are getting more so.
The point
is we can't pre-determine what these uses will be. Users will build their own
applications. In order to do that they need a device that is configurable. A
laptop will do, although it could very well be something else.

Certainly we will be carrying around with us various smaller electronic
devices,
but personal computers won't be dissappearing anytime soon.

Bye,