[Tfug] ubuntu

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.net
Wed Apr 23 12:19:44 MST 2008

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:
> http://www.u.arizona.edu/~sitkaa/Extra%20Stuff/TFUG%20Temp.html

Whenever I've installed Linux on a new laptop (and I do it fairly
often), 90-95% of the stuff 'just works', especially in the last year or
two.

For the remainder of the issues, Google is a great resource.  Search for
"Linux on Latitude D800" or "Fedora 6 Latitude D800", etc., just mix
your distro and hardware, and you'll get lots of results from people
that have gone before you, and wrote about their efforts.  A somewhat
generic format for reporting results seems to have evolved with time.

Samples:
http://mikehardy.net/linux_latitude_d800/
http://davesource.com/Solutions/Linux-on-Panasonic-Y5.html
http://thomasgersdorf.com/linux/index.php/Gentoo_Linux_on_IBM_ThinkPad_T60

If you want to try to consolidate this all into one wiki/blog/whatever,
that would be an interesting project, but it will be a bit of a fight to
get the critical mass of people submitting and maintaining their own
content, especially if the maintainer wasn't at the same technical level
as the people he hopes to gather input from.  IMHO, that would be a
prerequisite for a successful site like this, because there are so many
distro/hardware combinations, and each progresses pretty rapidly.

For most folks, the gateway to this knowledge is your search engine.

Good luck,
  Jeff