[Tfug] Firefox and TIFFs

erich erich1 at copper.net
Sun Apr 20 22:32:13 MST 2008

In simple terms,
         It is market forces. *.jpg, *.png, *.gif are much more popular,
so web browser
designers have responded to the demand.  *.tiff has been around for a
while, but
has seen only marginal use. One reason is it's inefficiency. It takes
many more
Kbytes to display something in a *.tiff than in, for example, a *.jpg.
         I  require  that my students send me homwork scans in *.jpg format.
Every once in a while, one iof them trips up, and sends a *tiff. A
single page
homework scan in *.tiff can be over 10Mbytes.

Erich