[Tfug] ubuntu

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Fri Apr 18 19:24:02 MST 2008

Dell has some custom CD isos for some of their machines.

Earl
"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler
"I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code" Unknown Linux Geek

-- sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:
Does anybody do this for Linux or the BSD's? That is provide custom
install CD's
for particular machines. I didn't think anybody did because they
thought it was
economic unrecoupable.

> And that's with an install CD customized for the target machine.  It's
> much worse when one installs from a generic install CD, then has to go
> searching for appropriate drivers.
>
> --
> John

Anyway, all I really want to do is figure out how to provide a helping
hand for
everyone. Making linux easier to install, with all the drivers already set-up
and whatnot custom for each machine, this would help push linux over the top.
So would having it do everything that windows can do, but easier, this is how
to make linux better. Linux could easily be the dominant OS. The is actually
very little momentum in the software world, especially when so many things in
the open source world are gifts of effort, freely given for the good of all.

Should everyone decide to work on a single project to 'save the world' in one
organized great social change, they would do with linux. I would hope that the
linux world is prepared for that. Such an influx of people into this system
would overwhelm your infrastructure. Constantly dealing with newcomers like me
who argue about the fine points and complain about it being

Making it as simple as possible is really the only solution.

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: