[Tfug] Pleasurable distraction

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu sitkaa at email.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 15 12:14:58 MST 2008

If you want to see what I am focused on (its not spellng or computer stuff),
check out my website.

(still at) www.u.arizona.edu/~sitkaa

It would be so nice to be able to write some small programs that would help with
efforts to save the world, but then I would have to devote my life to learning
the computer stuff, rather to learning how to save the world. Yes the task is
too big for a single person, I suppose that is why we are all here, but still I
don't even know where to begin.

For instance,

1. How about a program that allows people to give opinions on topics in an
uncorruptable format. It should be easy enough to write. I got lots of
organizational ideas for this which would make the system more capable of
showing consensus among a population (you know - fairness in voting,
democracy...)

2. How about a GIS system for community and sustainability issues. Adding some
depth to the idea, let us not only map the issues, but also the available
initiatives and organizations that can address those issues. And as a side
benefit, we would be organizing many of the NGO's into a more user friendly
format.

3. How about maintaining a library of sustainability assessment modalities,
indices, and measures of effects in order to generate better consensus on how
our world is changing and what effect we are having upon it.

4. Or lots more.

I got lots of these ideas. They come at me all the time, for perhaps the past
two decades. I have been organizing them, validating their methods,
prioritizing community and population needs for sustainable development,
categorizing initiatives, etc. But I am clueless about the computer side of
things, which means that my ideas will Never Happen. I suppose I should go back
to using a battery-less notepad and start counting the stars at night.

Learning computer stuff is just not where I am at. But I gotta put up with it in
order to get this stuff outa my notebook.