[Tfug] Broken WordPress Permalinks

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 13:11:30 MST 2008

Hi,

I sent this same email to AZPHP with no response.

I'm trying to learn WordPress and have loaded it on my local development server.

Version 2.5

Out of the box I can go to the default pages and post.  I went into settings > Permalinks and choose Custom Structure and enter  /%category%/%postname%/

Now when I try to go to a page I get a page not found.

In reading the docs it says my .htaccess must be writable so I set the permissions to 777 just to check.

WordPress must have written to the .htaccess file because it contains only the following:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Also the docs say "To navigate to this panel, login to WordPress, click on "Manage", then on "Files", scroll to the bottom and type in wp-includes/vars.php into the text box under the "Other Files" title."

I find the Manage menu item but not the Files menu item..... is it me?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Keith

Keith Smith