[Tfug] [sitkaa at email.arizona.edu: Re: ubuntu (troll?)]

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 15 18:12:41 MST 2008

Redirecting this message back to this list where I assume it was
intended to go.

C.

----- Forwarded message from sitkaa at email.arizona.edu -----

From: sitkaa at email.arizona.edu
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:04:49 -0700
Subject: Re: [Tfug] ubuntu (troll?)
To: Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu>

That is great, I stand corrected, something for which I am glad. Closing this
hole in linux's implementation model will go far to make its use more
adoptable.

But, from my own experience, I wonder how true this is. Without alot of help
from a semi-professional (UA OSCR) group I would never have gotten my
(bluetooth) mouse, or video card, or wifi, or etc to work with Ubuntu, much
less a more difficult distro. And I haven't even tried to connect some other
items to linux. But again, I do recognize that things are getting better.

I suppose what I was leaning towards in suggesting better driver support was
somehow enticing the electronics industry to provide these drivers, just as it
does for other OS's. Are there organized linux efforts to do this? How are
they
going about this?

And I do need a good WYSIWYG to replace Dreamweaver. I looked over the
available
attempts and ended up shelling out for the Adobe programs. And how about some
ESRI interface?