[Tfug] ubuntu (troll?)

Malcolm's Honey Co. mjs355 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 18:32:57 MST 2008

Claude Rubinson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 05:14:16PM -0700, sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:
>
>> 4. and driver issues.
>>

> It's time to start stomping out the "lack of drivers" myth:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/276973/.
>
> >From the executive summary:
>
>   The Linux Driver Project (LDP) is alive and well, with over 300
>   developers wanting to participate, many drivers already written and
>   accepted into the Linux kernel tree, and many more being currently
>   developed.  The main problem is a lack of projects.  It turns out that
>   there really isn't much hardware that Linux doesn't already support.
>   Almost all new hardware produced is coming with a Linux driver already
>   written by the company, or by the community with help from the
>   company.
>
>   There are two main classes of hardware, video input devices and
>   wireless network cards, that is not well supported by Linux, but large
>   efforts are already underway to resolve this issue, with the wireless
>   driver issue pretty much taken care of already, however there are a
>   few notable exceptions.
>
> Claude

There is one hardware item for which almost no driver exists for Linux,
i.e., the so called winmodem or internal modem. I found this out when
helping a friend who lives in a remote enough area that the telephone is
the only available internet access. An internal modem uses the central
processor as a controller via some software (the driver). The solution
is to use an external modem which has its own controller - just plug it
in - no software required. External modems also have the advantage that,
since they have their own controller, they use less of the computer's
resources and thus provide a somewhat faster surfing experience.