[Tfug] ubuntu (troll?)

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu sitkaa at email.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 15 17:14:16 MST 2008

This entire thread started with a consideration of why there aren't
more people
using linux. Huh. Hmmmm.

You are right, I have become a cynic. I have wanted to use linux for
years, and
it hasn't happened because:

1. windows is just too ubiquitous,
2. the need to run programs that are unavailable in linux (for instance
Adobe's
CS3 suite or ESRI's ARC GIS)
3. the first hurdle of linux (the need to dual boot) has stumped me,
4. and driver issues.

But I should be abit more positive perhaps, facing so much work can affect my
outlook on things.

Not that I am expert on such things, but if you like you may indulge my
postulation on what linux needs...
1. drivers that work without question - there has been remarkable efforts in
this arena, but there is still far to go, not because of the linux crew, but
primarily because the electronics industry doesn't contribute much to
the linux
effort. Perhaps devices need to be linux certified, or even better,
designed for
linux. The argument that there isn't the market for this doesn't hold
water. The
market will come.
2. a single Complete base linux which serves as the core upon which other
distributions are built, similar to the approach of the bsd's, but with one
single core line. Again, some distro's are attempting to fit this
ideal, Debian
for instance.

The next suggestions speak more to the theories of social engineering.
You see,
windows and linux and OSX are part of our society's infocom system. Infocom
systems are perhaps the most fundamental system of any society. This is why I
have been rooting for linux all this time. A free and open infocom system is
fundamental to a free and open society. Although I do feel that the
open source
model is the best one for an infocom system, it would seem that the
free (as in
beer) model of software development just isn't cutting it, unfortunately.
Hence:
3. Support for the software's development by the community or government which
uses it. We may be seeing this implemented in China.

Of course, linux started out fundamentally designed better than
windows, et al.
It is in the implementation of the software development that it has fallen
down.

But then agin, maybe I know nothing.