[Tfug] ubuntu (troll?)

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Tue Apr 15 16:04:50 MST 2008

On 04/15/2008 02:55 PM, Jim Secan wrote:
>> On 04/15/2008 11:23 AM, sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:
>>> I subscribed to TFUG to (yet again) try to learn more about
>>> linux.
>>>
>> Have you installed Linux?

[snip]
> Since this fellow took himself off the line I'll put up some
> defense for his cause.  I doubt that he "knows" Windows to the
> level you posit, but his point is that he doesn't think he
> should have to know Windows or Linux or JCL (God forbid) or
> whatever any more than is needed to get his job done.

I recognize that many people want to use their computers as
appliances. For those individuals I recommend that they do not
install any operating system. Instead, they should consider
purchasing a machine with an OS pre-installed.

Installing and configuring operating systems is not always easy,
even with windows. And I do not like it when someone criticizes
Linux because it is hard to install, and then says that Windows
is better, because I know that most of them have never installed
and if they have it was only with a manufacturer provided media.
I believe the ease of install for Ubuntu and Debian is an amazing
feat. But that doesn't mean that an "appliance user" should be
installing it.

Also, it is erroneous to say that Linux is hard to *use* just
because it can be hard to install/configure. There is a very
large difference between using, and installing/configuring. Don't
have the money to buy it pre-installed, ask on the list for help
installing. Might even spark an install fest.

I responded the way I did because of the following things:
1. His post wreaked of sensationalism.
2. He is subscribed to TFUG. Therefore, I have no reason to
   believe he wants to use his computer as an appliance. This is
   a free Unix enthusiast group.
3. He said he subscribed to *learn* Linux yet again.
4. He's been posting for a while, and seems to know about some
   things that I would not expect a computer appliance user to
   know. http://www.google.com/search?q=sitkaa%20site%3Atfug.org

--
Glen