[Tfug] ubuntu (troll?)

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Tue Apr 15 14:33:43 MST 2008

On 04/15/2008 11:23 AM, sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:
> I subscribed to TFUG to (yet again) try to learn more about
> linux.

Have you installed Linux? You say you need someone to hold your
hand to get a dual boot working. Have you asked any of us on the
list to help you? Have you considered responding to any one of
the hundreds of giveaway emails on the list, where people were
giving away or selling for the cost of a haircut, low end used
computers? How about going to Worldcare and picking one up?

You can't learn Linux on a Linux group without Linux! You might
learn *about* it, but you won't learn it.

Until you have tried one of the above suggestions, I think you
should stop your whining. And no, we don't care what your
complaints are until you have either tried or asked for help.

On another note, you say you *know* Windows, but I bet you don't.
You know how to use it to get tasks done, but I bet that's about
it. How about troubleshooting driver issues? Virtual Memory?
Failure to boot; don't have the provided recovery media; what do
you do? Fix registry issues? Dual boot Windows XP with Windows
Vista? If I am wrong, I will apologize publicly on the group.

Most of the people running windows bought it with everything
pre-installed. If you were to buy the newest hardware and attempt
to install Win 98 on it, you would have to go find all the
drivers and install them manually; and believe me there are a lot
more drivers than just video, network, and audio. And there's no
guarantee that you would get it to work.

There is a stark difference between using an OS, and installing
an OS that did not come from a manufacturer with all the drivers
pre-loaded. If that's what you want, go buy a box with Linux
pre-installed.

In my opinion, installing Ubuntu, PC-BSD, etc is normally easier
than installing *any* version of Windows; except maybe 3.1. ;-)

--
Glen