[Tfug] Following the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard in Debian

Matt Jacob matt.jacob at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 12:36:48 MST 2008

Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> 1. Build and install software like Parrot, or Firefox 3. Where
>    should I 'configure' it to put the files?

I'd have to agree with others who said /usr/local/src and /usr/local/bin.

> 4. Local web development. Where should I put my those files? Is a
>    directory under ~/ the most appropriate? I think someone
>    mentioned putting them under /var.

I use /var/www, but some people make a web user and do ~/public_html or
something like that. Since I have several vhosts on any given box, I use
this kind of directory structure:

/var/www
     /domain.com
         /cgi-bin
         /logs
         /private
         /public
     /example.com
         /cgi-bin
         /logs
         /private
         /public

> 5. Run local MySql/PostreSql databases. Where should the data
>    files go?

The default /var/lib seems to work fine for me.

> 6. Create one or more local Subversion repositories. Where should
>    they go?

Mine go in /usr/local/repos. I think that's pretty standard for CVS and
Subversion. Or, at least it makes sense to me. :-)

> 7. Create system wide (non root) scripts. They will be executable
>    by all local users. Again, where should I put them?

/usr/local/bin seems like a sane choice.

Matt