[Tfug] Following the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard in Debian

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Mon Apr 14 08:40:58 MST 2008

I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you what I do for some
of them.

I put sources in /usr/src or /usr/local/src.

I build applications to reside in /usr/local/bin (regular users) and
/usr/local/sbin (superusers).

I store my local websites under development in /data/websites. In
general /data is a network share so other people on the network can
access the files.

System wide scripts I put in /etc/scripts.

In general I back up /home /etc and /data, so everything that is not
replaceable goes in there. /data for network shared files, /home for
user's personal data and /etc for system configuration and scripts.

Other people may have completely different advice, but this works for me.

Andy

--
Andy
PGP Key ID: 0xDC1B5864