[Tfug] Recommended wireless network cards

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 02:15:23 MST 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Glen Pfeiffer <glen at thepfeiffers.net>
wrote:

> I got some feedback on this at the last Happy Hour, but I've
> forgotten your responses. I would like to purchase a hassle free
> wireless network card to use on my Laptop, which runs Debian
> Stable.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Glen

I'll be interested in this one too, as I think what you're actually asking
is "which WiFi cards have drivers that are pure FOSS enough for the Debian
philosphy?"

Under Ubuntu we've got instant driver recognition for the Atheros chipsets
which are probably the most common overall, supported under the MadWiFi
project.  But that's not "pure" enough for Debian.  This ends up being a
real barrier to getting Debian working on a lot of systems as sometimes both
WiFi and inboard Ethernet chipsets are unsupported as "impure" in some way
(patent issues, partial closed-source, etc.).

It's simply not possible to get my lappy up on Debian without finding the
drivers first and having them ready to go on other media...and possibly
rebuilding the kernel.  Since I have only one rig period, when I tried
Debian I had no way to get the needed drivers midway through when it puked.
So...Debian ain't for me I guess.

"Purity" can be taken too far, methinks.

Jim